Essay 5: Poetry ExplicationA poetry explication is a relatively short analysis which describes the possible meanings and relationships of the words, images, and other small units that make up a poem.
Essay 5: Poetry Explication
A poetry explication is a relatively short analysis which describes the possible meanings and relationships of the words, images, and other small units that make up a poem. Writing an explication is an effective way for a reader to connect a poem’s plot and conflicts with its structural features. This handout reviews some of the important techniques of approaching and writing a poetry explication, and includes parts of two sample explications.
Due April 21, 2018
I need an introduction and the thesis included in the paper
Write a poetry explication essay according to the following requirements:
Select a poem available in our textbook and analyze it for the elements we’ve reviewed (word choice, order, tone, imagery, figure of speech, symbols, allegory, irony, sounds, and pattern). Write your explication on 3-4 of these elements and provide support from the poem. Meaning, actual lines that reflect or support the chosen elements.
· Compose a five -paragraph paper with a clear introduction (including thesis statement), body, and conclusion
· Paper must be 550- 600 words minimum and meet the posted essay rubric expectations
· Follow the MLA formatting guidelines (Hacker, pp. 462-470)
· Use MLA citation format (Hacker, pp. 399-463)
· Research is optional
· If research is included, it must follow MLA format and include a Works Cited page (not included in word count) (Hacker, p. 470)
· Refer to the sample essay in MLA format (Hacker, pp. 465-469)
· SUBMIT the final draft under the Assignments link on Turnitin.com – if you DO NOT submit your work on Turnitin.com by the deadline, you will receive a zero.
Choice of poems
How It Will End, by Denise Duhamel
Majic of Love, Love Poem
It’s the Law: A Rap Poem, by S. Pearl Sharp
Devils and Dust, By Bruce Springsteen.