ENG 225 iNTRODUCTION TO FILM
In 800 to 1200 words: THE WIZARD OF OZ
- Describe a major theme of the movie you have selected using evidence from the movie itself as well as course resources and other scholarly sources to support your position.
- Identify at least three techniques (cinematography, lighting, acting style, or direction) and/or design elements (set design, costuming, or hair and makeup), and explain how these techniques and/or design elements contribute to the establishment of the theme. Reference particular scenes or sequences in your explanations.
- State your opinion regarding the mise-en-scène, including:
- How do the elements work together?
- How congruent the design elements are with the theme of the movie?
- Whether or not other techniques would be as effective (Explain your reasoning).
Must have intext references and must state where references are retrieved from. MUST BE AN ORIGINAL WORK
Note: According to Goodykoontz and Jacobs (2011), “A theme is an idea, subject, or topic of some kind that pervades the plot” (section 2.4, para. 1). As the authors explain, “It is not so much what ‘happens,’ but rather what the movie is ‘about,’ part of the meaning you are expected to take away from the work” (section 2.4, para. 1).
Your paper should be organized around a thesis statement that focuses on how the elements of your chosen feature-length film both establish and maintain one of its major themes.
The paper must be 800 to 1200 words in length and formatted according to APA style. ORIGINAL WORK WITH INTEXT REFERENCES!