Discussion – Week 3
This week, you have been reading about key assumptions of interpersonal communication processes and examining how communicators’ goals influence these processes. The individuals involved in aconversation have their own point of view, perspective, experiences, and insights. Nearly all communication is goal-oriented to some extent, from gaining trust to learning more about each other to even selling products or providing services, whether or not the participants are aware of it. Each individual brings his or her own unique perspective and influence into daily communication to meet these unconscious or conscious goals.
For this week’s Discussion, you consider the relationship between interpersonal communication fundamentals and goals. In addition, you consider how you utilize interpersonal communication in personal and business contexts.
- Evaluate your daily interactions with people both at and outside of work.
- Review Chapter1, in Business Relationships Across Cultures.
- Consider an example of how you have used interpersonal communication to pursue a personal or business goal.
- Consider how your background, experiences, and point of view influenced how you communicated in your example
With these thoughts in mind:
By Day 3
Post at least 250 words answering the following questions:
- What else could Kai, Ronnie, or Lauren have done differently during or after their discussions that could have minimized the conflict? What conflict management styles, patterns, or dimensions could be used that would help resolve the conflict? Explain.