Describe one internal and one external method for the dissemination of your evidence-based change proposal. For example, an internal method may be the hospital board, and an external method may be a professional nursing organization. Discuss why it is important to report your change proposal to both of these groups. How will your communication strategies change for each group?
Nursing practice is dynamic and always changing because of new information originating from research, client issues and technology development. Evidence based practice and research based practice often used interchangeably. Evidence based practice include nurse’s clinical experience, practice trends, and individual client preferences, whereas research based practice refers to the knowledge based on systematic research studies.
The six characteristics of Evidence based practice includes:
- client centred
- scientifically based
- population outcomes based
- Refined through quality improvement and benchmarking
- individualised to each client
- compatible with system policy.
Examples of EBP:
- Reduce the time interval between when a physician writes the prescription order to when the patient receives the first dose.
- Optimize the treatment and prevention of anaemia during caesarean section.
- Improve the patient satisfaction in noise reducing activity.
- Reduce the needle injuries in nursing personnel.
Examples of EBP results:
1. A study conducted regarding the benefits of discontinuing the routine practice of listening to the bowel sounds who have undergone abdominal surgery. The evidence based project resulted in saving nursing time without having negative patient outcomes.
2.Another evidence based results shows average nurses knowledge is outdated and they does not improve the quality care and health outcomes.
The EBP project results should be discussed because
- it improves the quality and patient outcome.
- it enable the nurses to systemically transfer the evidence based knowledge into clinical practices.
- it is essential to provide competent and safe nursing care.
- it increases the confidence in decision making.
- it improve the skills and critical thinking.
- it enhances the nurses to lead a job satisfaction and group cohesion.
- it reduces the cost in health care and saves time and effort.