Chapter 10 Journal
- First, describe each of the three dialectical tensions described in the text. Then apply either of these types of relationships: friendship, parent-child, or workplace to questions 2-4.
- Which incompatible goals do you and your relational partner seek?
- Which of the strategies do you use to manage these tensions?
- Are you satisfied with this strategy or can you suggest a better strategy?
- Using your own words provide a thorough explanation of the social penetration theory.
- Choose two different relationships. Describe these relationships in terms of depth and breadth. Provide specific examples in the analysis of each relationship.
- Are you satisfied with the level of intimacy in each of the relationships? Why or why not? What can be done to maintain or alter the level of intimacy in both relationships?