By the due date assigned, post your response of at least 150-200 words to the Discussion Area. By the end of the week, comment on at least two of your classmates’ submissions.
Choose a new poem to analyze from the assigned reading list. Do not use one you analyzed in Week 1’s discussion or essay assignment. Use the following questions to develop a paragraph response to your new poem:
- How are symbols and metaphors used in the poem?
- What are some of the key symbols and/or metaphor in the poem?
- What are some of the meanings they convey to readers?
- How do these elements enrich the poem and deepen your understanding of its themes?
Remember to provide evidence for your claims in the form of quoted passages from the poem. Quotations, paraphrases, and summaries should be cited according to APA rules of style, including in-text and reference citations. Quoted material should not exceed 25% of the document. Check grammar and spelling before posting.
When you are responding to the posts of your classmates:
- Discuss any similarities or differences you have with their interpretations.
- Did their conclusions help you to see the poem any differently than your first impression of the work?
- Elaborate on any key points.
Your replies to classmates should be at least a paragraph in length and made with an eye to expand, clarify, defend, and/or refine their thoughts. Consider asking questions to further meaningful conversation. Participation must be completed by The End Of The Week to earn credit.
Post directly to the discussion; do not attach a document.
Example APA Reference from the eBookBlake, W. (2013). The chimney sweeper. In X.J Kennedy and D Gioia (Eds.) The Literature Collection: An E-Text [VitalSource digital version] (p. 239). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.